About the job
Operate mechanical boom and cable or tower and cable equipment to lift and move materials, machines, or products in many directions.
What you'll do
- Direct truck drivers backing vehicles into loading bays and cover, uncover, or secure loads for delivery.
- Weigh bundles, using floor scales, and record weights for company records.
- Inspect cables or grappling devices for wear and install or replace cables, as needed.
- Inspect bundle packaging for conformance to regulations or customer requirements and remove and batch packaging tickets.
- Direct helpers engaged in placing blocking or outrigging under cranes.
- Load or unload bundles from trucks or move containers to storage bins, using moving equipment.
- Inspect and adjust crane mechanisms or lifting accessories to prevent malfunctions or damage.
- Review daily work or delivery schedules to determine orders, sequences of deliveries, or special loading instructions.
- Move levers, depress foot pedals, or turn dials to operate cranes, cherry pickers, electromagnets, or other moving equipment for lifting, moving, or placing loads.
- Clean, lubricate, and maintain mechanisms such as cables, pulleys, or grappling devices, making repairs as necessary.
Things you need to know
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
Abilities you'll need to have
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.